GILENO SANTORO: WHO WAS HE?
Brazilian voice actor Gileno Santoro provided the voices for numerous well-known cartoon characters, including Master Roshi in Dragon Ball. He was born on June 16, 1948, and he began working as a voice actor in 1996, at the age of 48. He performed voiceover work for Centauro, Lamo, and Unidub, among other dubbing companies.
Santoro was highly known for having a unique and entertaining voice that worked well for the characters he voiced. His most well-known roles include:
- Dragon Balls’ Master Roshi is a perverse and wise martial arts expert.
- Uncle Chan is Jackie Chan’s obnoxious and strong uncle from The Adventures of Jackie Chan.
- Futurama’s eccentric and elderly inventor, Professor Farnsworth.
- Stan Pines, the con man and Gravity Falls detective.
- The helpful and friendly baker from Soreike is Jam Ojisan! Anpanman.
HOW DID GILENO SANTORO PASS AWAY?
At the age of 74, Santoro passed away in So Paulo on April 14, 2023. Lung cancer was listed as the reason of death. He had been battling the illness for a long time and had through a number of therapies, according to Genius Celebs1.
A dubbing director at Centauro studio, Mauro Eduardo, shared a tribute to the artist on Twitter to communicate the news of his passing. He stated, “It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of Gileno Santoro, the voice of Master Roshi and so many other incredible characters,” and shared a collage of some of the roles Santoro has portrayed. Keep your peace.
HOW DID FANS REACT TO THE DEATH OF GILENO SANTORO?
Numerous admirers of Santoro’s art responded to his passing with shock and grief. On social media, they shared their sorrow and appreciation for his contribution to the voice acting industry. These were some of the messages:
- Gileno Santoro, please go in peace. My upbringing was impacted by your voice. I appreciate everything.
- “It’s unbelievable. One of my favourite voice actors was Gileno Santoro. Together with Master Roshi and Uncle Chan, he gave me such good laughs. He’ll be sorely missed.
- Gileno Santoro was a dubbing legend. He brought so many of my favourite characters to life. It makes me very sorry to learn about his departure. I’m thinking of his family and friends.
- What a setback for the dubbing industry. Gileno Santoro was a pro at what he did. He had such a distinctive and endearing voice. He’ll always be known to me as Master Roshi.
WHAT HAS GILENO SANTORO LEFT BEHIND?
Santoro left behind a lengthy and varied body of work as a voice actor that spans more than two decades. He provided the voices for characters in comedic, action, fantasy, science fiction, and dramatic works. In live-action productions like Você Decide and The Da Vinci Code, he also took part.
Santoro’s brilliance, professionalism, and charisma were admired by his peers and supporters. He was also renowned for becoming emotional and humble when his followers acknowledged him. He described an instance when a doctor broke down in tears when he revealed that he was the voice of Master Roshi in an interview with Wendel Bezerra’s channel in 2018.
“For me that’s exciting,” Santoro added. “He got up and asked, ‘Can I hug you?'” He cried and gave me a hug. You marked my childhood, my existence, your voice marked everything, he said. I was very moved as well.
Santoro’s voice will continue to live on in the hearts and imaginations od numerous people who spent born listen and witnessing his fictional characters. He is going to recognised as one among most exquisite Brazilian speaking actors on the past.